This is a very similar to the original custard square, but is made better with a sweet passionfruit topping
Passionfruit Vanilla Slice
- 3 slices of puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (125g) custard powder
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) milk
- 50g butter, softened
- 2 egg yolks, extra
- 1- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- For the icing:
- 2 cups (320g) icing sugar
- 50g butter, melted
- pulp of 3 passion fruits or half a (170ml) tin
- 1. Preheat oven to 220°C or 200°C fan forced. Grease and line a 22cm square tin with baking paper. Mix together egg yolk and tablespoon of milk.
- 2. Place pastry on a lightly greased baking sheet; prick well with the tines of a fork and brush with combined milk and egg yolk. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden; place a second heavy baking sheet on top to flatten. Set aside to cool. Repeat with remaining pastry.
- 3. Place one piece of the puff pastry in the bottom of the tin.
- 4. Place sugar and custard powder in a saucepan. Add enough milk to make a smooth paste and place over medium heat. Add remaining milk and cook, whisking until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in butter, extra yolks and vanilla essence.
- 5. Pour half the custard immediately over the puff pastry. Place another layer of pastry on top and pour over remaining custard. Place remaining pastry on top. Refrigerate until set.
- 6. Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Mix through butter and passionfruit pulp and 1-2 tablespoons warm water as necessary to make a spreadable consistency.
- 7. Turn slice out onto a board; ice and cut into squares to serve
This recipe has not been reviewed yet. You could be the first!
There are no questions yet.